HomeBooksComing SoonMeet ElizabethBlogging in ParadiseContact

OPEN LETTER TO BARRY EISLER AND JOE KONRATH
Monday, March 21st, 2011

Hi guys!

Wow. Your post on Konrath’s blog blew me away and there are at this very moment thousands of heads exploding over thousands of keyboards.

The sounds of a revolution.

For those who haven’t read it yet, stop what you’re doing, go pour yourself a stuff drink, then go to JA Konrath’s blog and read it. I’ll wait here.

Okay?

So–Barry and Joe–your number crunching abilities are extraordinary and I bow to them, not being very numerate myself , but in all your analyses of the coming world of publishing, there’s one thing I missed in your conversation.

The world.

Yep, the world of 1.8 billion English readers. 1.8 billion readers who up until now you reached with difficulty. Oh, sure, your books could eventually make it to Australia, New Zealand, India, the UK, Ireland, Canada, but not without huge corporate friction that ate at your royalties, requiring sub licensing agreements and new covers and two and sometimes three corporations all taking their share of the pie. Not to mention all those English readers in Europe, Africa, Asia, where the American edition was sold at a huge markup because it’s an imported good.

Imagine those 1.8 billion English readers having instant access to your books. Press a button and there you go. They haven’t digitalized yet but when they do, the sky’s the limit.

And then of course there’s the rest of the world that loves American books but must read them in translation. The translation you have no say over, and in which (sorry guys) your text was probably cut by the translator to fit local editorial book sizes.

Not to mention olive-green garage door covers.

Now imagine a world where you control the translation, the cover is the same cover you chose. Right next to your book in English on amazon, there’s a button on amazon.de for the German language edition, or on amazon.jp there’s the Japanese edition, etc. And you get all those royalties. All of them, with no intermediaries. It will cost you about € 5000 and you’d have to find a translator you trust, but once you do and have paid the cost (which you’ll probably make up in 4 days of sales) all those royalties go straight to you.

Hark! What’s that sound I hear? Of pitchforks being sharpened at the gates of the Bastille? And that fire on the horizon? Those are the torches.

Allons enfants de la patrieeeeeee….

18 comments to “OPEN LETTER TO BARRY EISLER AND JOE KONRATH”

1. Claude Forthomme
      · March 22nd, 2011 at 12:03 am · Link

Wow, what a site, Liz! Looks great and right in line with your writing style, I love it! Congratulations, it’s explosive!

Yes, you’re right, the e-revolution is on us. Trouble is that it’ll work for those who have a name, like Konrath and Eisler and you, because you guys (deservedly so) already have a following! For us poor unpublished authors, there’s little hope of duplicating the e-dream…

For it is a dream reserved to those with an established market, or if you prefer the word, a “platform” from which to take off, to be sure, like a… missile in this bright new e-world!

Like in the old French song when one watches fireworks spraying sparkling colours in the night sky: “Ferdinand, hausse-moi que je voie la fusée volante…Oh, la belle bleue! Oh, la belle rouge!”

Problem is: us newbies have no “Ferdinand” to pick us up and watch fireworks…

But I’m not complaining – only I believe we have to be aware of where the markets are and how they can grow. Otherwise, newbies are in for a rude awakening in an empty desert with no sales or very few…

Indeed, someone gave very good advice recently (sorry I don’t remember who), saying that unpublished writers should start blogging at least 3 YEARS BEFORE PUBLISHING – because that’s how long it takes to build up a site that can get 1,000 hits a day. And less than 1,000 is just not enough to sustain the sales of a book, whether digital or not.

So I guess what we should all do is go blogging out there, and twittering, and face-booking…Wow, I hope writers will still have enough time (and energy) to write!

2. maria grazia Swan
      · March 22nd, 2011 at 8:04 am · Link

Hey, Elizabeth, what a site! Well done. Like your covers also.
    Ti saluto, ciao.

3. Mick
      · March 23rd, 2011 at 10:25 pm · Link

A response to Claude. I knew Joe Konrath when he and I were in an online crit group in about 2002-4, and when he got his first book deal, for ‘Whiskey Sour’. Even then, with only a handful of short stories published anywhere but his own site and most of them in non-paying online venues, he was the most industrious and enthusiastic writer I’ve ever encountered. He’d already put in years of effort to learning his style of writing and to familiarising himself with the industry. He was first established on the horror/thriller fansites *as a fan*, not as a writer. He gave away stories to those sites too, even when he was starting to get paid more regularly. He did everything he could to get his name out, to help other writers, and to contact fans.

When he eventually got the advance contract for ‘Whiskey Sour’ he posted that he’d cried like a baby over it. Then he did everything he could to sell; he’d stay hours a shop to meet three customers and only end up signing one copy, but he’d learn all about that shop from the staff and he’d keep adding it all to his picture of the book world.

Eventually, as we know, he took the self-publishing direction and became highly successful in that realm, although he’s still available in deadtree versions. You might say he was an established author when he went ebook, but not by that much. We’re not talking Charles Dickens here, or James Patterson.

Joe didn’t start his career established. No one does. He worked as hard as I can imagine myself ever working, and for more years than I’ve worked in my life so far. I’m not glorifying him or making him a martyr. He worked at what he loved, both writing and being a fan of his genre, so it’s hardly self-sacrifice. But it isn’t some unrepeatable coincidence of the e-revolution and his being established. Lots of authors were more established who haven’t done as well. Others have done as well without being established – Amanda Hocking comes to mind.

Being established is an advantage. Getting established takes work now just as it always did. But being successful as a self-publisher doesn’t require being established, just the work part.

4. Elizabeth
      · March 24th, 2011 at 12:22 am · Link

Mick — I couldn’t agree more. Hard work and good work is what will do it every time. Everything else is noise.

Elizabeth

5. Claude Nougat
      · March 24th, 2011 at 12:46 pm · Link

Sorry, I changed my name to my pen name (I prefer it – particularly the “goody” torrone implication!) but I’m still the same Claude.

I just wanted to say I agree with all of you! Work – hard work – is key for achieving success.

But the real question is one of strategy: what will work better? Go the legacy route first and then, once you’re a midlist author, go the e-self-publishing route? Or skip the legacy and go directly to self-publishing via the e-route?

Konrath chose self-publishing very soon in his career, if I understand you rightly, Mick. That was his choice and it certainly seems to have fitted his go-go character like a glove. But not everyone is Konrath. For the more subdued and shy, those who are not willing to spend a lot of time on line and build up an Internet brand name, it would seem safer to go the old-fashioned legacy publisher route…That’s all I meant!

6. Elizabeth
      · April 25th, 2011 at 10:07 pm · Link

Hi Maria Grazia! Grazie! Elizabeth

7. BENJAMIN
      · June 30th, 2011 at 5:52 pm · Link

BELOVED BRIGHT HOPE TEAM

Holy greetings in the most holy name of our Lord savior JESUS CHRIST.

My Name is BENJAMIN
    I am also doing as a pastor of the Church in remote Area

I would like to share some words about ministry

I am working for the Lord since 15 years as a pastor
    for the church.

I am working in the mids of the Tribal & uneducated people.

Doing the service of the Lord depend upon the Faith.

Not with the support of any organisation. self supported and
    independently doing.

Again we request you .and if you want know the ministry details,we
    can show our regular ministry report

So If god inspire you give support to the ministry. which
    I am doing in the 7 places also to Effectively.

May God Bless You and the ministry in all aspects

with love in his service

PASTOR BENJAMIN
    little flock church
    ANDHRA PRADESH
    INDIA

OUR VISION :CHURCH PLANTING

E-mail :benjamin.lfc@gmail.com

contact no:91-9908255841

8. bridal gowns
      · June 21st, 2013 at 11:13 am · Link

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic
    to be actually something which I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me.
    I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

My blog post … bridal gowns

9. greek stationary
      · June 28th, 2013 at 3:17 pm · Link

excellent post, very informative. I wonder why the
    opposite experts of this sector do not understand this.
    You should continue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

10. debt advice
      · June 29th, 2013 at 3:23 am · Link

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and
    I was wanting to know your situation; we have developed some nice procedures
    and we are looking to swap strategies with other folks,
    please shoot me an email if interested.

11. credit repair companies
      · January 5th, 2014 at 7:49 am · Link

For a nice and surfing on line over about three a long time currently, however i never found every interesting write-up just like you. It can be fairly value enough in my opinion. Personally, when most web owners as well as people created just right written content since you in all probability does, the net might be a great deal more handy than before.

12. adale someone like you cover
      · March 14th, 2014 at 11:01 pm · Link

Thank you for the good writeup. That in reality was a leisure time bill them. Look innovative for you to a lot added acceptable from you! Nonetheless, precisely how might we keep up a correspondence?

13. Free Screen Recorders For Djs
      · June 14th, 2014 at 7:57 am · Link

The PC captures the data in digital format and brings it into a video editing program that is
    also included. Perhaps the simplest to use is a typical web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox Mozilla,
    Google Chrome and others. For a fraction of it will
    cost to have your VHS recordings transferred to DVD by a duplication studio, you can find hardware and software that fits your computer’s Windows or Macintosh
    operating system and transfer them yourself, saving you time as
    well as money. Note that these performance enhancements don’t always extend to certain plugins.
    Auto focus, touch focus, face detection and image stabilisation are all provided to help the user take
    effective photos and they work well. You are able to write
    whatever you have discovered. While it is not technically a requirement,
    it may be good to view the entirety of the tape footage first before starting to
    import the footage to the computer so you know that everything works fine.
    That is, you may want to record a video that you’re watching on your Windows computer, capture the mouse and keyboard movements you’re using when performing
    a specific task in an application, or even record a
    portion of a game you are playing online. Gamers
    can capture their in game progress for sharing with others.
    Whiteboard , Document sharing, collaborative browsing, file downloading and other major functions.

Shortly after the first gen iphone was released, a group of people a lot smarter than myself got
    together to form the “i – Phone Dev Team”.
    Hit the red “Record” button to start capturing your screen, you will
    get a hint to ask whether capture the entire screen or only
    a portion of the screen. The last version compresses the visual aspect
    of the OS and the 2. Mac Kindle Fire Tablet Converter is also a best Audio Converter that can convert between audios
    such as MP3, WAV, AAC, M4A, AC3, FLAC, MP2, MKA, AMR, etc and
    allows you extract audio from video. High definition cameras, crisp audio and features such recording of video calls for future playback
    have dramatically improved accuracy of communications.
    2) Install the Win – TV-USB to your PC or the USB port of a laptop and you’re ready to watch a video surveillance camera hidden in a resizable
    window, right on your PC screen. Learn all about the KDENLIVE video editor
    for Linux. Websites that recruit online teachers
    include universalclass. You may want your
    Camtasis videos to get around and reach out to other people that may be
    potential customers in the future. This gadget boasts versatility
    and portability at its best. And I found that the cut
    point in ts – Sniper is not the begining image I see the in VLC player.

Course – Cast recorder installed on PC saves the lectures and other materials uploading them on the website.
    Take actions now, make a You – Tube greeting card
    yourself. There are 2 different shades of grey
    for the Nexus One. You will then gather a list of visitors who may be interested in becoming your affiliates.

My web blog … Free Screen Recorders For Djs

14. Manufactured Homes San Diego
      · July 4th, 2014 at 1:31 pm · Link

I seriously love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself?
    Please reply back as I’m looking to create my very own site
    and would love to learn where you got this
    from or exactly what the theme is called.
    Cheers!

15. handyman gift ideas
      · July 8th, 2014 at 4:39 am · Link

Thank you for some other informative blog. The
    place else may Iam getting that kind of info written in such a perfect approach?
    I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I’ve been onn the look out for such information.

16. carpenter bees
      · August 19th, 2014 at 1:38 am · Link

Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few
    of the images aren’t loading properly. I’m not surde why but
    I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same outcome.

17. unlock ios 8
      · August 30th, 2014 at 3:39 am · Link

This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me.
    Thanks!

Feel free to surf to my web site :: unlock ios 8

18. security screen doors
      · September 19th, 2014 at 8:12 am · Link

If you wouuld like to obtain a good deal from this post then you have to apply these techniques to your won weblog.

Here is my site … security screen doors

Trackbacks/Pingbacks